Household Waste Recycling Sites across West Sussex will begin reopening from today for limited materials.
If you are thinking of taking a trip to one of the sites there are several things you need to consider.
Before planning your journey you should:
- Consider whether your journey is essential. You should only visit a site if your waste presents a risk of injury or harm to health and cannot be put out with your regular kerbside collection. If it doesn’t please safely store your items at home for now.
- Check our opening hours. Sites will be running their usual summer opening days and hours. Not all sites are open every day, so please make sure to check before making a journey – visit West Sussex Recycles for more information.
Before visiting a site please note:
- Only garden waste and general household waste will be accepted. Garden waste means green waste such as grass cuttings and hedge trimmings. General household waste (or “black bag” waste) is the types of items that are collected in your kerbside collection such as food or non-recyclable packaging, and does not include electrical items, textiles, bulky items, furniture or general recycling. General household waste items brought to the sites at this time will be sent to landfill. We hope to be able to accept other items soon.
- We hope to be able to accept other items soon.
- Please continue to use your household collections for recycling and general waste where possible, and only visit the site if the journey is essential.
- Only cars will be allowed on site. Trailers and large vehicles such as vans and pickups will not be allowed access at this time.
- The mobile site at Selsey and the Witterings will not be opening for the time being.
Once at the sites there will be certain measures in place for the safety of visitors and staff:
- The number of vehicles accessing the sites will be restricted. Visitors should expect long delays at sites and should delay their visit to avoid the first couple of weeks if possible.
- There will be no pedestrian access at any of the sites under the current social distancing measures
- Social distancing barriers will be in place. Visitors will be directed into enclosed bays to dispose of their waste.
- Only one person will be allowed to get out of a vehicle. Please travel to the sites alone if possible. If other people travel to the site with you, they must remain in the vehicle.
- Site staff will not be able to help unload your waste and recycling. Please do not bring anything that you cannot safely remove from your car on your own.
Before you plan your journey to a site please read our latest update which will give you further details.